Why Schools Should Have Dedicated G&Cs
On our advocacy trips to schools, trying to raise awareness about importance of Guidance and Counselling in schools and how it should be prioritized, We have heard so many distressing statements.Some schools said “we do have a G&C, Only she also teaches home management, history, social studies…..” and so on.One school admin simply shrugged and said “Well, we’ll look into it” while stifling a yawn.I am glad that those were polite because an angry school admin once asked me ‘don’t you have something better to do?”Unfortunately, these stories are endless. YOU might also be wondering, Why must we have a dedicated G&C?You see, assigning mentors to students has its benefits no doubt. But it’s an entirely different ball game from having a dedicated professional whose primary role is to ensure the total well being of students, and help students achieve their maximum potential.Like former first lady Mrs Obama said;
“We need to ensure that school counselors have what they need so that all our young people can achieve their maximum potential”
Maximum potential!The students will be made to put in their best, while being happy at it. So, either they turn out outstanding or extraordinary.It’s a win-winHow will it be different?When it’s a dedicated role, taken on by a passionate certified professional, so much good will ensue from it. Some of which are;
- It’s a dedicated role, so they are likely to focus and do it well
- They are not burdened by other tasks which might overwhelm them, therefore maintaining the warm-calm nature any counselor should have becomes easier as they are not stressed
- Any skilled counselor is highly skilled in helping kids solve their problems-so they’d not keep it to themselves and resort to other terrible means like drug abuse
- An effective counselor will help kids identify their passion, once they do, they are well on their way to success
- A skilled counselor is an excellent intermediary between parent-teacher, parent-children, teacher-students and are well trained in solving these problems effectively and so many other benefits.
And from these we are likely to have;
- Less problematic adolescents and less cases of teenage depression
- Committed teachers and parents
- Happier and more motivated students
- Less problems with career choices
- Increase in overall academic performance
- More self confident students and so on
An overall happy, serene and organized school environment. The dream of every parent, the dream of every society!Waste no time. Grace your school with an effective G&C right now!
Does your school have an effective G&C? Share some of the observed benefits with us.
We look forward to learning from you!